UX Research, Interaction Design, Product Design
Selfie is a global video sharing app designed to connect users throughout the world.
Based on the name ‘Selfie’ alone, downloads were not hard to attain. The challenge was in increasing retention and encouraging users to share their stories on a deeper level.
We set out to understand user needs and interactions for the current state of the Selfie App to identify opportunities for enhanced usability and growth.
To familiarize ourselves with the current state of the app and where the pain points lie, we took an in depth look at the current MVP.
We found the app to not be very intuitive and discovered some major trouble areas that needed to be addressed. Little room was left for the user to make a mistake and not given a chance to correct it if made. It also offered little guidance to users.
Given little guidance, testing was held in order to assess how users interacted with the app. Both men and women between the ages of 16-35 years old were tested. We wanted to not only gauge the functionality of the app but the overall experience of how our user felt in order to improve the design.
- Users were confused on purpose of app
- Users don’t have a vested interest in the lives of people they don’t know
- Users felt uncomfortable watching videos of others they don’t know
- Picture gallery was intriguing and grabbed users attention
- The video interface gives users little control
- Users want to search for locations or tags, not only other users
- Users feel awkward on video, especially with a front-facing camera
Many interviews were held in order to understand and measure social media users behavior. Interviews were held for both male and female, ages 16 and up.
- Most users tend to only care about their close-knit circle on social media. True
- Privacy is a major concern. True & False
- Users will engage in anything that intrigues them. False
- Main reason of use is to keep in touch. True
- Users like to be able to control the content they see. True
- Users principally engage with social media to keep in touch with friends and family
- Users tend to only actively engage if it is amongst their close knit network of friends and family
- Retention is guided by notifications or if users feel like they’re missing out on content relevant to their network
- Privacy is highly relevant – self-censorship increases when on a public forum
- Users post most often on private group chats
- Photos are the preferred medium of posting
Our analysis included an evaluation of popular social media apps to see where they fall on the spectrum. Our spectrum was based off of what our users deemed as most important or of most interest. That resulted in privacy, curating own content, and relation to other users.
We created personas to compile our findings from our research and user interviews in order to help visualize our insights. These profiles generated are who we feel are our main users.
Now with our users in mind we came up with our design principles to guide us through our ideation phase.
Creativity with Constraint
- Best material comes with slight boundaries
Clarity of Purpose
- Identity is unique and compelling
Foster Close Connections
- Emphasize daily experience shared in an instant with friends
- Users leave app with a lasting impression of how it made them feel.
Proceeding a stakeholders ideation session in conjunction with our research findings, the goal was to design an app geared towards the users close-knit circle.
Throughout our research it was clear users were highly interested in their close-knit circle rather than the daily lives of strangers. We found most users to be highly engaged only when it concerned those that they know. The final wireframes were designed based on just that. It allows users to have a broader following that are loosely related while allowing them to have a more intimate conversation with members of their choosing.
The design of the final prototype allows users to share stories with their friends in an instant while giving their friends the option to add on to the story. The option to start a group video message as a way to offer up more privacy is available as well.